Pages

Thursday 1 March 2012

My finger points...

The last few days have been spent writing a paper on the evolution of reptile metabolic rate. For those who have experienced the joys of writing up their results, I'm sure you understand the mental anguish that accompanies this activity. This time round, my writing-stress has expressed itself in the form of  unkemptness and spontaneous self-depreciation. I have also come to realise that having a shirt tucked in at the front, drawstring of my pants undone, and having food stains on my clothes constitutes my current becoming of a dag. Progress is slow, but it is being made. I have also learnt how to make requisitions using the university finance e-forms, which is a much bigger achievement than it sounds (for some reason the logic of finance is unobtainable to me).

My super-awesome poem on writing:
Words on the page are a mess
Probably the cause of my distress
I wish I had a published paper to caress
I need to work harder, I must confess
The effort won't kill me I guess


The best thing about a day of hard work is the satisfaction of coming home and kicking back, knowing you've done good work for the day. I haven't had that in a while, most days I come into uni just in time for lunch, have an extended lunch, procrastinate for as long as possible, then maybe find something more constructive to do for about 40 mins until I give up and go home for dinner. But I have just started a bio-statistics course which might give me some structural backbone to re-construct my weekly schedule. I am going to do a uni work-ethic makeover (amidst writing, I know). This is it people, before I'm tossed like chaff in the wind, I'm gonna re-take my position as a steady-going researcher!

No comments:

Post a Comment