Pages

Thursday 8 March 2012

Flies, food and pooters

It's official: I can now tell the sex of flies. Not without a couple of hours of getting my eye in for the task, but now I can add to my growing list of "skills of the universe". Even better, I have learnt the revered art of pootering. Which involves a pooter. You make "poot" sounds when you use it. Very glamorous. Essentially, when you are sexing flies or transferring flies to a new "cage", you can transport flies by sucking them up into a tube, and exhaling through the tube to shoot the flies to their destination (there is, of course, a filter between your mouth and the flies). The tube itself is referred to as a pooter by those who work with fruit flies. I have also witnessed someone cooking a special food mix for encouraging flies to lay eggs. It requires a level of precision that perhaps pastry chefs spend years developing, and I know that when it comes my turn it will be a very sad ending. Hopefully I will get the skills I need quickly so I don't waste too many ingredients.

2 comments:

  1. So much more awesome than you realise... FLY FIGHT! *poot!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The particular an excellent entertainment analyzing your own submit. The particular packed with information Now i'm trying to find besides I like submit some form of comment which "The articles of one's submit is usually awesome" Outstanding function. Regards: Dry Aged Steak

    ReplyDelete