Pages

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Dance your PhD!

When asked about what my PhD is about, I'm not really sure where to begin. Should I start providing background information about the field so that when I start garbling jargon they'll understand? No, that takes too long and I honestly couldn't be bothered. Lately, when non-scientists ask I just say I look at metabolism in lizards and frogs. It's not the whole story but it is a whole lot more easier to say than "oh, just the evolution of metabolic rate in lepidosaurs and amphibians", to which I am always asked, "what are metabolic rates?"

Recently, I came across a competition that calls for scientists doing their PhDs to turn their thesis into an interpretive dance. First thoughts? How much easier will it be to refer people to this dance than bothering to explain in words! As such, I have entered the competition with my interpretive dance of what I think is my PhD...

1 comment:

  1. It was soooo much fun choreographing and dancing this with you! Well done!

    ReplyDelete